Why use it?
Split transactions can help you keep on top of your spend.
- Balance your books: if you pay & then get money back from friends / flatmate/ partner for example, if you pay for a bill & they pay you back if you don't split the original transaction it will look like you are paying more than you actually do in your reports
- Keep track of your cash spending: if you take cash out you will just see the ATM withdrawal - as you spend your cash, you can split the original ATM transaction & tag the cash spend e.g. a £100 ATM withdrawal which is automatically tagged as enjoyment might actually be: £40 groceries, £30 haircut, £20 transport and £10 on lunch.
- Get more detailed reporting: Sometimes you might be spending at one merchant but for things you want to track separately e.g. you might split a £70 shop at Sainsburys into £50 groceries & £20 alcohol.
How it works
On the transactions screen, select the 'split' icon (hover over the transaction on the right hand side). Set how much you want to split out & what tags you want to add. The new transactions will be created for you.
This feature is only available on the full website version of Money Dashboard.
Navigate to the Transactions Screen.
Using a mouse:
Hover over the value of the transaction and click Split in the overlay that appears below.
Using a touchscreen:
Tap the value to show the overlay.
This will open an overlay at the top of the screen where you can specify a different tag and/or description for each split.
The first 'split' is the original transaction, the value will be automatically altered when changes are made to any subsequent splits and is not configurable.
Points to note:
- When using a mouse you may have to click outside the value box to trigger an update to the value of the original transaction.
- If you enter a value of zero the value will revert to the previous number
- If you enter a value that will reduce the original transaction value to zero or less the value will revert to the previous number
- There is no 'undo' feature. so please ensure the values are correct before selecting 'Save changes'. Tags and descriptions can be edited later.
Find out how to use split transaction to balance your books & tag something you pay for & then get money back from friends / flatmate/ partner.