Why look at transactions?
Use the transactions screen if you want to:
- find a particular payment
- understand how much you are spending at a particular merchant
- see how many times you pay for little things on your card (and how much they add up!)
Even just scanning through it can be an incredibly powerful tool for helping you change your spending habits.
Remember how people used to say they'd look at their bank statements at the end of every month & go through it with a highlighter. Now you don't have to wait for the postman or find a pen. Keep an eye on your spend across all your accounts in one place, any time.
How transactions work
Transactions are the backbone of Money Dashboard. Think of your transactions screen as a bit like a bank statement on steroids.
You can search, edit, tag & split your transactions. If you want to find a particular transaction or group of transactions you can filter by:
- Date: set the date range you are interested in
- Account: Use the account selector to toggle accounts on & off. For example if you only want to see your spend for a specific account make sure that is the only account you have selected
- Key words: for example, maybe you are interested in spend with a specific merchant – start typing & the transactions will be filtered. You can use ‘results summary’ to see the total of transactions of spend with
- Tags: add tags you are interested in
- Amount: if you know roughly how much the item was you're looking for set a spend range. This can also be useful if you just want to look for specific groups of spend. For example, all those payments under a £5 on things you forget about can really add up... why not search for transactions less than a £5 & see how much the total is in a given month?
If you are looking at a group of transactions you can use the ‘Results Summary’ to review the total spend. For example, maybe you want to know how much you spent on Amazon over the last 3 months.
- Set the date filter to “last 3 months”
- Type your keyword e.g. Amazon into the description filter
- Click results summary & you will see the total value & number of transactions in this period